Often, cat owners do not know how to treat the ears of their pets, whether to buy expensive products for this, or hydrogen peroxide is enough. The medicine from the home medicine cabinet can be used for cleaning, but only in certain cases.
The use of peroxide is justified if it cannot be replaced by any other formulation designed specifically for animals. Like humans, healthy cats produce a lubricating substance from the inside out. Its remains come to the surface, forming the appearance of contamination. But sulfur in the external auditory canal is a normal phenomenon, you can not often clean the ears of pets.
Sulfur build-up can form plugs over time. They reduce the hearing of the animal, provoke inflammation, giving cats a lot of inconvenience. The problem is revealed when observing a pet. There is a jam if the animal:
- shakes his head;
- trying to scratch the inner ear
- refuses to eat;
- cannot navigate in space.
Experts recommend hydrogen peroxide to soften the cork. The substance will soften the seal, after which the plug can be easily removed at the veterinary clinic. But the drug dries out the skin and mucous membranes. Therefore, one should not get carried away with its application.
It is advisable to carry out hygienic treatments with saline, chamomile decoction, boiled water. Too frequent cleaning leads to disruption of the natural balance and acceleration of sulfur formation.
Another cause of ear contamination is a tick. To find it, you must contact your veterinarian.
Inflammatory processes are also accompanied by brownish or yellow discharge. At the same time, sulfur production can increase. Peroxide treatment is pointless here: long-term treatment under the supervision of a specialist is necessary.
To maintain your pet's health, you must:
- hygienic cleaning once a month.
- contact specialists at the first suspicion of a disease.
How to treat a cat's ears
Pet should be checked regularly to prevent the formation of sulfur lumps. At the first sign of a problem, be sure to visit your veterinarian.
The visible ear surface is treated once a month. To do this, use:
- cotton swabs;
- The stick is moistened in saline.
- Moving to the tip of the ear, they gently remove impurities. Rotational movements are unacceptable: deposits move even deeper, a thin membrane is injured
- Allow the cat to shake its head to remove excess fluid.
You should not wrap cotton wool around a match. This option is traumatic for the animal.
Veterinarians recommend using peroxide as an additional treatment for ear mites. The drug will help clear the ear canal of pus, scabs, dead skin.
- Peroxide is not instilled. It is abundantly moistened with a cotton swab.
- The eyelet is slightly turned inside out to better view the treated surface.
- The animal is fixed so that during processing it does not injure itself and the owner. The easiest way is to wrap your pet in a large towel.
- Wet cotton pads are moistened with a 2% solution and gently process the inner surface of the ear.
- Repeat the manipulations until complete cleansing.
Then they use drops, powders or ointments prescribed by a veterinarian.
It is important to pay attention to your pet, to observe his behavior. Taking care and following simple rules will help keep your cat active and healthy for years to come.