Loving your puppy is not just about giving him a place, feeding him and playing with him. The puppy needs to be looked after, which means, including, and carefully take care of its diet. If you want your dog to grow into a healthy, cheerful and strong dog, watch what you feed him, how much food you give and the amount of feedings.
It is necessary
- Veterinarian consultation
- Artificial dog milk
- Dry food for puppies
- Natural food for puppies
What does he eat? For the first three to four weeks, puppies, like children, eat only mother's milk. From 3, 5 weeks, you can begin to transfer the puppy to dry food. It happens like this: you, together with your veterinarian, choose the brand of food that you think will suit the puppy and, subsequently, the adult dog. From the line of food of this brand, you get a special food for puppies, as well as a substitute for dog milk. The puppy should be offered liquid food first, so add 350 milliliters of milk for every 2 cups of food. Mix food with milk in a mixer and feed the puppy. The first time, let him lick some of the food off your finger. Once he has done this, place your finger over the bowl to see where the food came from. Over the course of four weeks, gradually reduce the amount of milk in the food. By the eighth week, the puppy should completely switch to dry food. Do not forget that now he needs not only food, but also water. If you do not plan to feed your dog dry food, then the transition from mother's milk to another diet will be a little more difficult. Up to three months, give the puppy powdered oatmeal or buckwheat porridge, brewed with hot milk, calcined homemade cottage cheese, boiled ground meat, puréed vegetables and fruits … Add boiled egg yolk to this diet once a week. From three to six months, feed the puppy with real, boiled in milk, cereals, cottage cheese, ground boiled meat and give once a week not only egg yolk, but also raw cartilage from the brisket. Instead of pureed fruits and vegetables, start offering your dog pieces of vegetables and fruits. From six months on, increase only the amount of food and the break between feedings. From a year and a half, you can give your dog raw minced meat or finely chopped raw meat, raw fish and raw eggs once a week. The best fruits for a puppy are apples, pears, grapefruits, oranges and bananas. Be careful not to get seeds in the fruit pieces, they are toxic to small dogs. The best vegetables for dogs are carrots, broccoli, kale, cucumbers, celery, courgettes, and spinach. Add olive or sesame oil to your puppy's food, one tablespoon daily, to improve the condition and appearance of the skin and fur. Season his food once a week with parsley and ground dried cloves. The diet of a dog who is on a natural diet should consist of 75% animal products - meat, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs. The remaining 25% are all plant products - fruits, vegetables, cereals.
How much does he eat? There are different formulas for calculating the total weight of puppy food. Someone counts as a percentage of the current weight of the dog. Someone suggests calculating based on the estimated weight of an adult dog. Others calculate the calorie content of the feed. In fact, all these formulas give a very approximate result. The fact is that the correct diet can be selected only taking into account the breed of the dog, its size and weight, skeleton, average daily activity, tendency to obesity and what kind of food it will eat. It is best to trust your veterinarian in this matter as it concerns the future health of your pet.
How often does he eat? From 6 to 8 weeks, feed your puppy in small meals 5-6 times a day.
From 8 weeks to 16 weeks, reduce feedings to 4-5 times a day.
From 16 weeks to six months, the number of feedings is gradually reduced to 3-4 times a day.
From 6 to 9 months, the puppy should eat no more than three times a day.
From 9 months, the dog gradually switches to an adult diet. She starts eating twice a day.
Be especially attentive to your pet between 3 and 6 months old. At this time, his teeth will be cut and, like any child, he can be capricious, with a poor appetite and a little irritated.